Tuesday, October 31, 2023

ROCKET-ing into your world, 'Versions Of You' is a can't miss EP.

Photo by Sarah Hesky.
No sooner do I question my listening habits than an EP explodes into my ears and makes me remember exactly why I keep looking for new music, decades after I should've exhausted that curiosity.

The huge, rilly rilly big, buzzy guitars and thunderous rhythm section deployed by Rocket on their debut EP Versions Of You melt around Alithea Tuttle's vocals to create a stew you won;t be able to resist. Huge melodies carry the proceedings along, and while they seem to be incredibly young this is definitely the sound of a group that has grown up together as every instrument locks together flawlessly,  incorporating slabs of power pop and smashing them into waves of shoegaze, all the while keeping things moving along in a sprightly manner. It's one of those albums that upon hearing the opener I was like, well, at least I know they've got one great tune in them. And then another great tune followed that one, and another, and another ... until by the end my only quibble with this EP is that I wish it'd been an LP instead!

I am incredibly bummed I didn't listen to this EP until this week, which means I just missed the Chicago stop of their tour. However it looks like they still have some Canada and West Coast dates coming up, so if they're coming to your town don't make the same mistake I did and get out to see 'em live!

3 comments:

C. Jensen said...

Listening now and digging it. The vocals have hints of Shirley Manson every now and then. Too bad they're not coming to Denver.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Such an amazing band! They deserve a record deal!!!

Anonymous said...

Couldn’t agree more! Someone get this group recorded. The blend of vocals and instrumental is perfect. Good Luck!