
We saw Christopher Nolan's take on The Odyssey last weekend. It was excellent. Duh. If I had any minor quibble it would be the choice of music playing over the closing credits, but everything prior to that is nigh perfect in its pursuit of epic grandeur balanced by close human moments.
You know, an epic FILM!
Go see it on a big screen. Don’t get hung up on seeing it in the “perfect format.” Just SEE IT.
POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT—STOP. HERE IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE ODYSSEY YET:
I know, you can’t really spoil a poem that’s thousands of years old, but you can spoil a director’s take that makes that poem personal and introduce a new perspective that skews the commonly understood interpretations. This is beyond stuff left out of the story or condensed for clarity and such. This is a core reframe, and the thing that turns the mythical into the personal which leads to its embrace as a universal.
Sooooooo:
While at first I did find it curious that Christopher Nolan chose to mix his metaphors by taking the stance that Odysseus opened Pandora’s Box by creating the Trojan Horse, it’s a read I could embrace with more emotion than had the story hinged more on Odysseus’ being the mostly unrepentant jerk he comes across in the original poem as he's constantly locked in battle with the gods (so to speak).
No comments:
Post a Comment