Tuesday, September 08, 2026

A light Labor Day recap with some urgent suggestions for the artistically curious.

While we did not avoid all labor this long holiday weekend, our labors were richly rewarded. We managed to balance rest and recuperation with reenergizing activities and knocking a few long-staring items off various to-do lists.

A particular highlight was catching the Willem de Kooning exhibit at the Art Institute before it closes in a few weeks.* I'll be posting something on Instagram about that later this week. But if you haven't seen it yet and I've in the area, I found it a really rewarding and revealing look inside a person's work I've been so familiar with for so long, but I've never had the chance to see so much of his stuff that clearly displayed his evolution over the years, transforming what appeared to me as quantum leaps before into more logical paths of pursuit, connecting dots I had never seen before.

In other words, it's pretty frickin' good!

However the highlight of the weekend was probably our little family BBQ on Monday, and not just because of the delicious cookie cake. 


But the cookie cake certainly didn't hurt!


*I also just discovered the mammoth Paradise Lost piece by Raqib Shaw that I've seen a few times, and had anticipated spending years going through and picking apart all the teensy tiny details within, is only on temporary loan to the Art Institute and leaving in November! I don't know if it's moving elsewhere or if Shaw intends to add to the piece and then loan it out somewhere else, and there doesn't seem to be any verifiable answer to that question. The important thing is that it's leaving soon, so I need to get another few visits in, and if you haven't seen the piece at all, I strongly urge you to make immediate plans to do so.

No comments: