Friday, December 31, 2004

Year-end wrap-up.

Thanks to The Watergirl for saving me the trouble of having to actually put together a few cohesive paragraphs summing up my year. Instead I will just use this handy-dandy questionnaire I found one her site. Lazy? Yes. So what?

Also, I wanted to mention just how awesome the last Sweet Alice Tuesday of 2004 was. Multiple birthday parties combined with folks on vacation plus lots of beer and spirits made for a terrifically fun and dance-filled evening. An added bonus? I managed to escape being photographed all night long! Double-plus-good!

Okay, the wrap-up...

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Um, hmmm. Thanks for the light and easy puffball start-off there. I guess seeing my dad die was something I've never done before.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Well, I joined a gym late last December and I'm still going there regularly and I reckon that's the closest thing to a resolution I made...so yes, I did keep my New year's resolution.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My brother and his wife introduced my nephew Alex into the world.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Um, yeah.

5. What countries did you visit?
This year? Only Mexico. I was lame.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money! Then I can visit more foreign countries!

7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
The day my dad died. For obvious reasons, I think.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Last year I said I wanted to expand my writing to other venues and I did, so I'm pretty happy with that.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not visiting my dad enough while he was in the hospital...in retrospect I was obviously avoiding even the prospect of his not beating the cancer that was eating him up.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than Betty's mistaking my hand for a steak in the middle of the night, I did pretty well this year.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don't know. I was pretty pleased with the "More Cowbell" shirt I got Photogal this Christmas.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother Sean. Let's just say that, to my family, he was indispensable this year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Let me think...there's another local booking agent that misinterpreted some things I said and then passed them on to some bands I worked with but I got over that sine I really, in retrospect again, think it was an honest misinterpretation. I guess if that's the worst I've seen this year then it's been a pretty good year!

14. Where did most of your money go?
Debt from the almost year of being unemployed. I hate debt. Ugh.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
David Bowie at the Rosemont Theater. It was awesome.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
The Killers ditty "Somebody Told Me" since it marked the beginning of the New York dance-rock invasion of Sweet Alice Tuesdays this spring/summer.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you (i) happier or sadder?
The same I think.

(ii.) thinner or fatter?
About the same, even though I go to the gym religiously. However I have put on a fair amount of muscle while at the same time still drinking the booze and eating the sweets so I guess if I'm holding the status quo that's a pretty fine place to be.

(iii.) richer or poorer?
Even with a generous raise from my boss earlier this year I'd have to say poorer. I haven't been booking nearly as many rock and/or roll shows as I used to...

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading. I so miss having the time to read like I used to.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Sitting at home missing a kick-ass rock show because I'm lame and tired and (getting) older.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my mom, my brothers, my sister-in-law and my awesome nephew…and Photogal!

22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
I think I fall in love a little bit with every new friend I meet, so sure.

23. How many one night stands?
Did Photogal and I have any sex while standing up at night this year? I can’t remember….

24. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
Arrested Development. I also re-fell in love with Sledgehammer.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Actually the only guy I was slightly miffed at -- aside from the aforementioned booking agent -- straightened things out with me this past Tuesday so everything is all good.

26. What was the best book you read?
It's been a slow reading year for me, but I did enjoy D.F.W.'s Oblivion. I'm still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and will risk my Snobby Lit-cred to say it's a highly enjoyable read thus far.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
By discovery I'll take that as music that took me by complete surprise. In that case, the Surferosa show at Schuba's fits that bill perfectly. Absolutely crazy.

28. What did you want and get?
Quite a few multi-dic DVD sets that I would have never bought for myself.

29. What did you want and not get?
That free iPod...folks keep signing up but only one whas actually completed the trial offer. Oh well, I will be patient.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Geez, I hate this question. Spiderman II ruled sequel-wise, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou ruled emotional-wise, Fahrenheit 9/11 just plain ruled as long as you took it with a grain of salt and The Incredibles helped me split the appreciation level evenly between four years old and thirty-two years old. Not a very artsy list, I admit, but honest nonetheless. Oh yeah! I also dug Shaun Of the Dead...funny.

31. What did you do on your birthday?
I booked a rock show with most of my favorite Chicago bands and got drunk as a skunk. I ended the evening spinning my friend Kristi upside down in Estelle's while Photogal and my little brother patiently waited for me to run out of steam.

32. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
Seeing my dad beat cancer.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
The same look I've been rocking for the past couple years. Jeans, T-shirts, Docs, the chunky leather watch...face it, I look like a gas station attendant half the time. I rediscovered my love of black suit coats though.

34. What kept you sane?
Betty the Beagle.

35. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Pardon the dirty old man tendency, but Lindsey Lohan finally came across my radar with Mean Girls. I also began to really dig Jude Law's acting so you could say I fancied him a touch.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
What political issue DIDN'T stir me up? That's a better question...

37. Who did you miss?
My dad.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Lucy the Dog…whom we rescued in Wicker Park shortly before moving the West Side.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
Um, no. It'll just sound so cliché.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Um, no.

So there you have it. See you next year!

No comments: