Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tankboy mini-mix.

Tankboy mini-mix.

I think some folks misunderstood yesterday's call to action. I asked for three songs that you immediately think of when you think of me DJing. Instead most folks sent me three songs they think would be good in a DJ set. No problem, though, because now I've got a nice list of music to check out for inclusion in future sets!

Of those that responded the number one top song they think of when they think of me DJing? Can you guess? Can you?

If you said Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" you would be right. I did get A LOT of use out of that song, didn't I? And I continue to get use out of it in that Aggro1 mash-up version of it (right click/save as) that I love so much.

Anyway, I was under a deadline so I just had to choose a couple tunes by myself, and I decided to go for a snippet that might actually emulate ten minutes or so in one of my usual sets. It's not an actual mix, just five songs one might hear. I've numbered them to be played in the correct order, and they are:
  1. Yellow Note "Naked Drunk And Horny"
  2. Blur "Money Makes Me Crazy (Marrakech Mix)"
  3. The Jai-Alai Savant "White On White Crime (Shirkan Remix)"
  4. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion "Full Grown"
  5. Dolly Parton "9 To 5"
The songs are supposed to be a little playful, since the CD is also being used to promote a benefit show I helped put together and am DJing along with my Bomb Squad compatriots, but it's the sort of segment you might hear at the 1:10 mark of a five hour set.

DOWNLOAD: Tankboy mini-set

Actually, after looking at it, I can't believe I left off anything by Sloan or The Police. (Bowie was never in the running because one of the other DJs already had the glam angle covered on the disc we're making).*

*Don't worry Mr. Smith, I only play Michael McDonald when you're around.

No comments: