Monday, May 14, 2007

James Murphy Clinton busts a smoove move.

James Murphy Clinton busts a smoove move.

One of the things I absolutely love about the new LCD Soundsystem is the numerous nods and winks to musicians past (and the full-blown Bowie worship certainly doesn't hurt either). For a dance album, though, he seems to pay scant attention to any of the masters of funk, which is probably one reason the whole thing is so fulfilling, since that forces mainman James Murphy to create grooves instead of mimicking them.

I guess he couldn't keep it all bottled up, since the b-side to his All My Friends single contains the Funkadelic-worshiping "Freak Out/Starry Eyes." It actually sounds familiar, aside from its obvious nod to Clinton's crew, and I want to say it originally was one of the section of the 45 minute "single" Murphy did for Nike, but don't quote me on that since I can't find the song on my computer right now. (I must've backed it up to DVD or something.)

Anyway, listen for yourself.

MP3: LCD Soundsystem "Freak Out/Starry Eyes"

Somewhat related: I've gotten to listen to the new Justice and I think I loves me some Frenchmen right about now. Whoa.

No comments: