Friday, August 07, 2020

Revisiting a familiar feeling long thought lost.


Something odd happened this morning—I woke up really excited for it to be a new music release Friday!

Two of my favorite musical artists, Hushdrops and Ryan Allen (of Extra Arms), had both earlier announced new music drops for this morning, and they just happen to be on Bandcamp on a Friday that the platform is not taking its cut of music sales, so all dough goes to the artists. The Bandcamp thing is just icing on the cake though. I still woke up excited.



I was so excited that Allen hadn't even made his album available yet when I purchased the first new Hushdrops EP, Endless Summer, in 6 years. Luckily but the time I had finished downloading that, Allen's solo debut Song Snacks Vol. 1 was available as well. So zip, zoom, bang that vinyl was purchased and the download began!



Clearly I'm not reviewing either album right now since I've barely had time to listen to them, much less fully digest them, but so far both are excellent. And for once My anticipation and expectation were both paid off, handsomely.

And since it's a Bandcamp Friday, I also took the opportunity to buy the vinyl compilation situationchicago since its jam-packed with groups both big and small dedicated to raising money to save the independent music venues in town.



After it was all over I was left with a feeling similar to the one I used to get when I'd grab a bunch of albums I'd been looking forward to at a midnight record store release party. So, since I can't celebrate this with people IRL like that, this will do, for now.

No comments: