Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Now even the drummer cries.

As reported on NME Radiohead drummer Phil Selway has this to say about the "leaked" rough mix of Hail To The Thief:

"We don't like anybody to hear our recordings until we are completely happy with them. These mixes of the songs were still 'work in progress'. As such, we wouldn't have chosen to present the album to people in this form. I feel that the recording process has been compromised for us."

Did he just completely miss the Radiohead tour doc Meeting People Is Easy where the band is shown hashing out rough versions of songs?

I know, I know, the band meant to release that footage -- probably to give the viewer a bit of insight into the creative process -- but I really can't help thinking that the tracks were intentionally leaked to the net to drum up positive advance buzz. My theory is that since the buzz has probably been less glowing than the band had hoped that they are doing a touch of back-tracking.

For the record though before all the rabid Radiohead fans start flooding my inbox with angry scratchings...I do love Radiohead and while I believe Hail To The Thief is probably not their strongest album to date it will get many many listens from me this year.

No comments: