Monday, February 07, 2005

So, the Chicago Tribune refuesed to run this comic today:



(click to enlarge)

Now I am not a particular fan of Prickly City since most of the time I find it to be grossly over-conservative and overly simplistic in its attacks. I am amused by the fact that the Tribune has chosen to situate this particular comic next to Doonesbury and The Boondocks on a daily basis so that proves someone in the comics editorial department has a wicked sense of humor.

The strip above is funny.

It is also mean, insensitive, opportunistic and incredibly unfair and politically incorrect but isn't that sometimes the point of humor? Funny does not equal warm fuzzies. Funny equals laughing at some of the more tragic elements of the human condition because we have to in order to stop ourselves from crying. I may not agree with the political intent or personal attack of the above strip but I do feel compelled to defend its right to do and be all those things.

While I’m talking about funny I should mention I saw the Second City E.T.C. show over in Old Town this weekend and it was a hoot. Highly recommended. I also developed comedy crushes on two of the actors, Rebecca Drysdale and Frank Caeti, because they were just so consistently funny. Drysdale was just wicked and cruel and sharp while Caeti's rubber features and incredible physical bits were absolute stand-outs in a cast that was itself pretty terrific.

No comments: