Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Aw, poor widdle Georgie...

I am not what one would call a political writer. In the past I have made my thoughts known about some issues so it's pretty fair to say I lean pretty liberally to the Left. I'm mystified by how intractable most folks have seemingly become on every single issue, but I also believe that in a democracy they have a right to their beliefs.

I really do wish people would stop supporting candidates who so obviously do not have their best interests in mind (and the greatest accomplishment of the Rove machine is in their ability to keep fucking folks over and over again, only to have those folks come back and vote for said machine.

Were I a dyed in the wool Democrat -- and believe me, though it may surprise you, I don't -- I would be pissing my pants right now. Why? Because next month's election is their to lose. The Republicans are losing on all fronts; the war on terror isn't making anyone safer, the party of higher moral grounds has been guarding a borderline pedophile in order to hold on to their power, scandals are breaking out left and right ... a changing of the guard is obviously in order.

Here's the problem, though. I don't think they deserve to be elected merely because Republicans are so obviously tarnished and slimy and (c'mon, admit it) veering into territory best described as "evil." All this time the Democratic party -- and you can harp all you want about the two-party system, but it's what we've got -- seems to think that they can adopt a platform that is merely, "Well, we're not Republicans!" and think that's enough.

Hm, well, maybe it is this time. But how fucking depressing is that? Don't you want to vote for someone that stands for something? In the end I know my vote will be going towards any candidate that I believe can reduce the influence of the current party in power and its twisted henchmen at the top, since I truly believe that they have made every single wrong decision they could have possibly made. I consider it an opening salvo; one which I hope the Democrats (if they gain the upper-hand) take advantage of in order to truly change the status quo. I do believe there are folks in politics that view what they do as a public service, and not as a means to leverage power towards generous donors. I do believe in the democratic system. I do believe people can make a difference.

Now all I need is for everyone else to wake up and believe with me.

_________

I can't leave you like that, now can I?

I think I meant to try and veer towards hope near the end of the above thoughts, but just in case I didn't veer far enough towards ye olde hope, here are a few things to lead you out and upward into the sun, instead of burying you trembling in the backyard under the fear.

EXHIBIT A: My friend Lew and his new son, Nolan.


EXHIBIT B: An uplifting little tune.

The Music "Guide"

EXHIBIT C: A simple message.

I love you.

No comments: