Thursday, October 26, 2006

The right kind of Jett.

Rocktober is roaring to a close, no?

Tonight I will be spinning at Liar's Club with Vinyl Richie! I've never teamed up with him before, but I always enjoy his selections, so I think we'll mesh well. I'll be there sometime after 10:30, since I'll be coming in from the Joan Jett show. Which reminds me, I've decided Liar's Club should be the post-Eagles of Death Metal / >Joan Jett party tonight! Who's with me?

I'll def be blowing off some steam tonight to celebrate the closing of a particularly frenzied work week. And I say celebrate because that's what one does to mark an accomplishment they are proud of.

But back to the topic of music and, specifically, tonight's music. I am VERY excited to see Joan Jett. You see, I've always enjoyed a few of her tunes (how could you not?), and I've always respected her place in music history (The Runaways!), but it wasn't until this year that I actually got down and listened to anything she's done recently. I mean, when you see "Joan Jett" on a bill, you're usually going to think, "Ah, retro '80s act." right? But you would be so wrong.

Her new album Sinner is one of my favorite discs of the year. I picked it up after hearing her cover of "AC/DC" this summer, popped it in the tankPOD, and found myself knocked the fuck out. Whereas most of her peers are headed directly for the acres of green pastures of AAC format radio, Jett continues to rage on, writing some of her most rocking -- and hardest hitting -- material of her career.

Here are two songs off her latest disc, to help bolster my point:

Joan Jett "Riddles"

Joan Jett "Turn It Around"

Honestly I've been agonizing over what to post without just putting up the whole damn album. "Riddles" is a nice reflection on the frustration of our current political / social mess, and "Turn It Around" is just a boppin' rocker.

Aw heck, I can't resist ... here's the tune that got me to buy the disc in the first place!

Joan Jett "AC/DC"

If, after hearing the above tunes, you don't find yourself hot-footing it over to The Vic tonight then, well, I just don't know what I'm going to do with you.


Bottom image of Joan Jett courtesy Carrie Musgrave

No comments: