Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sting, Andy, and Stewart.

Sting, Andy, and Stewart.

Well, tonight is the night. It's safe to say that this is the concert of the year for me, as far as anticipation goes. The Police have long been one of my favorite bands, but they were also one I thought had less chance of reuniting than even Pink Floyd. Looks like I was wrong on both counts.

My primary worry, and I think this is probably one shared by anyone who shelled out the beucoup dollars for tickets, is that there is no way that the actual band can live up to the expectations created by the band that's been living in my head, represented by a handful of albums, a few videos, and a smattering of concert footage. With those minimal tools I've been able to build up something that the real trio might have problems besting.

In the end though I'm not really expecting them to be earth-shatteringly awesome. The reality is that I'm going to see three pretty old guys play music from another era to a crowd of folks who wants nothing more from them. I'm thankful that the band is open about the tour being a cash cow for them, a nostalgia trip for us, and that we won't have to put up with any "new" songs like you would at a Rolling Stones concert.

And I'm totally O.K. with that.

P.S. A huge thanks and heartfelt smooches to Photogal who, when tickets went on sale, stepped forward and bought them for me as an early birthday present.

P.P.S. Stewart, you might want to ditch the headband. Loves you anyway though.

No comments: