Monday, February 03, 2020

Analysis paralysis.

The only analysis paralysis Pickle encounters is determining which part of the couch is most comfy at any given moment.
I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with me—wondering why I have a million thoughts and ideas, but I can't seem to get any of them out right now. It's certainly not writer's block, so I've been struggling over how to approach it since it's a relatively new experience for me. Last week I heard the phrase "analysis paralysis" and realized that is probably the best way to describe this right now.*

If it's work-related, all my old skills are still in fine form and I know how to address challenges and come up with the required solutions. And clearly, in this space in particular, focusing on music and recommendations and such is also still a dependable skillset. So in the professional fields of my life, this isn't really a burden.

But when it comes to my internal world, and trying to navigate the personal, I'm getting tripped up. Even now I can feel my fingers slowing down as I struggle to find the pathway to the next sentence to try and describe this and work out the underlying problem.

Of course, the underlying problem is the result of a new clarity and a constantly adjusting worldview, so it's totally fair to expect a period of reorientation, but the knowledge that this is normal doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Has anyone else had to deal with this, particularly as a new obstacle to overcome? If so, please leave a comment or shoot me an email and let me know what you did.


*Not a new term, by any means, but it's one of those that popped up out of nowhere to perfectly encapsulate a current quandary as if by Divine Intervention.


No comments: