Friday, April 22, 2005

Smoke 'em if you got 'em?

I’ve been DJing sober the last few Tuesdays primarily as an attempt to NOT spend half the money I make on cab fare home – since I absolutely refuse to drive drunk – and have noticed an interesting aftereffect the next day.

I’ve never really been the sort of person to get hangovers. It’s just the way I’m built. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve begun to notice that I don’t always feel as good as I used to after a hard night of carousing. Now that I’ve removed alcohol from the mixture I’ve discovered that it wasn’t the booze that was making me feel run-down the next day.


It’s the cigarettes!

That mild sinus headache and slightly slow feeling is the result of smoking too much! I had no idea!

It’s actually enough to make me consider stopping smoking entirely. At this point I primarily smoke when I’m out at night so I think it’s more of a behavioral habit than anything else and I had never considered quitting because I never noticed it having that heavy an effect on my health. Okay, that’s a lie. I still huff a little after climbing a flight of stairs and that is NOT the response my body should be giving to a guy who does almost an hour of aerobic activity at the gym five days a week. I guess what I’m saying is that I’ve begun to uncover some of the more insidious side-effects of smoking and it is making me begin to consider that which I never thought I’d have to face; the act of quitting.

I’m not saying I’m gonna quit right now, or even tomorrow, but the cards have been dealt and I don’t see a long-term relationship between me and Mr. Tobacco anymore.

Hmmm…that’s not at all the post I expected to write, but I’ll go with it anyway.

No comments: