Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another sure sign we are getting old.

Last night I was supposed to see Uffie at The Funky Buddha Lounge. I should have known better than to expect a hip-hop show at a nightclub to start anywhere near its scheduled time, but I went in thinking she would hit the stage between 10:30 and 11:00. As 12:30 came and went I gave up. A full write-up of the experience will be live at Chicagoist later today right here. To say I'm bummed would be a woeful understatement, but, hey, that's life. I will say Funky Buddha has gotten a lot cooler since the last time I was there (which was when Bobby Conn played there years ago) and, especially considering the fact I wasn't drinking, the experience with the club itself was a positive one. Except for the bartenders at the front bar. They sucked. You would think that when someone consistently tips $2 on a $3 bottle of water service might improve, bout you would think wrong.

Anyway, here's an Uffie track. Listen, and I think you'll see why I really wanted to see her...

Uffie "Ready To Uff"

__________

New (?) album Tuesday.

What does it say when the only album coming out today that even remotely excites me is a compilation of R.E.M.'s early pre-Warner Bros. years? Nevermind. Apparently it was included on some lists as being released today, but is in fact not coming out for another two weeks. Oh well, if i feel I must waste some dough I could alwayd pick up that Pretty In Pink DVD reissue...


__________

Popping the DJ cherry.

This should prove to be very interesting and I am really looking forward to it. One thing I can definitely say about instituting a regualr series of guest DJs at The Pontiac on Tuesdays is that it has filled me with enormous pleasure watching folks that don't usually DJ kick so much ass. It reminds me of how it was when I started DJing way back in the beginning of the '90s, and it has effectively inspired me to step up my game again. Folks have reintroduced me to songs that I had forgotten how much I loved, as well as introducing me to new ones I would have never considered playin, and isn't that one of the main reasons people want to listen to a DJ in the first place?

So tonight, my friend Casey (a.k.a. Rusty Renegade, bassist and singer for Chicago's own Knife Of Simpson) is strapping himself in and letting his freak flag fly. Or something like that. The dude has a deep appreciation for music and I am really looking forward to hearing what he has to lay on the masses tonight.

Details, suitable for printing out and handing to your friends / strangers on street-corners / flyering cars in your neighborhood with, are as follows:

TONIGHT!

DJ Tankboy
Is joined by
Knife Of Simpson's very own
Rusty Renegade.

Expect to hear some deep cuts, kiddies.

Old school rock and/or roll attitude
mixed with only the finest selections
from yesterday, today and tomorrow.

TONIGHT, Tuesday August 29, 2006
Stunning musical selections from 9pm until 2am

$3 Budweiser bottles
$3 SHOTS OF MAKER'S MARK!!!!!!!

New and Unreleased Stuff From:

120 Days - 120 Days
Snowden - Anti-anti
Lily Allen - Alright Still
Die Hunns - You Rot Me
Electric Six - Switzerland
Teddybears - Soft Machine
The Oohlas - Best Stop Pop
The Assembly - New Songs
The Changes - Today is Tonight
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Thunderbirds Are Now! - Make History
Eric Metronome - You Should Be Happy
The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls In America
Oxford Collapse - Remember The Night Parties
Chin Up Chin Up - This Harness Can't Ride Anything
The Robocop Kraus - They Think They Are The Robocop Kraus
Some Action - The Band That Sucked The Life Out Of Rock N' Roll...

Heavy, man, HEAVY.

Every Tuesday.
Only at The Pontiac.

______________________________

THIS SATURDAY!!!!

Join DJ Tankboy,
and special out-of-town guest Ringo Starkey,
along with Rudy Tuesday
(and maybe DJ Cowbell?)
for a special Pontiac Holiday Weekend session
from 9pm until 3am.
______________________________

The Pontiac
1531 N Damen
Chicago , IL
773.252.7767


__________

One last thing worth noting.

It appears as if The Like Young's show with The Assembly at The Hideout this Friday will be their last in their hometown. This blows, especially since I think that their last album, appropriately titled Last Secrets, was easily their best, but I guess they've grown tired of the industry grind and have chosen to call it a day while they're at the top of their form. I can respect that. I don't have to like it, but I can respect it. Due to these circumstances, I'm going to have to say that if you want to see some live music this Friday, this will probably be your last chance to see them in Chicago.

Here's a good example of what we won't be hearing any more of:

The Like Young "For Money Or Love"

No comments: