Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hey, guess what?!

I'm DJing again tonight!


I have a super-secret surprise guest accompanying me on the decks/pods, so make sure you don't miss it! Especially if you have the next day off because of Lollapooza; then you have no excuse for not showing up.
It's been a while since I spun at Liar's Club, and I always have a blast there, so please do stop on by.

And now, for no particular reason, my second-favorite contestant from season one of American Idol:


Okay, I don't want to seem one-sided so here's one for the ladies too, particularly Photogal:



__________

Morally ambiguous.

I finally saw V For Vendetta last night, and while there were some major changes to the story line (and I'm not so sure what I thought of the "tougher" Evey¹), I'm kicking myself for not having seen the film in the theaters. I'm also amazed, given today's cultural climate, that a movie basically casting a terrorist as its hero wasn't met with widespread gasps of horror. I'd like to say its popularity was due to the public's sophisticated tastes fostering a viewpoint capable of traversing a landscape of questionable morals, thus allowing for a movie with such a provocative viewpoint to gain a wide audience while inspiring intelligent debate. However I suspect that what actually happened is that, since V is ostensibly a white, British male and Evey is a white, cute, Brtitish female, that it never occurred to the majority of viewers that either charachter's actions could actually make them "terrorists."

I'm just taking dig at the general movie-going public here, not the movie itself. All told, the film ended up being inferior to its source material, and I can understand why Alan Moore had his name removed from the finsihed product, but as far as Hollywood blockbusters go, this may have been the most subversive movie to find such wide public acceptance / acclaim / profitability in a really long time. Divorced from the original graphic novel and judged on its own merits, this movie gets a solid thumbs-up / 9.2 / A- from this reviewer. Highly reccomended.

¹By that I meamn the "pre-incarceration" Evey. In the original book her transformation is all the more stunning because ofthe contrast between the woman she becomes with the (slightly oblivious) girl she was.

No comments: