Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Social binging.

Social binging.

I've been out a lot lately.

Shows. DJ nights. Band practice. Parties. Etcetera. There are a number of reasons for this, most of which I won't go into since I don't feel like discussing it in this forum at this point, but it's safe to say the primary motivation behind this more recent behavior is that I am simply a social animal. I like to be engaged in the world around me, and a lot of things I enjoy seeing and writing about are based within social gatherings. It's just the way it is.

One question that's been coming up in a lot of my conversations lately has been, "When exactly do you sleep?" My answer is that I sleep when I need to. And I don't need oodles of sleep, but believe me when I say I do get a full 8 hours most nights. As long as I have sufficient time to recharge I can just keep trucking along.

Actually, I guess I'm as surprised by my resilience as anyone else is. I am getting older, and many of my contemporaries no longer indulge in the same lifestyle I do ... and honestly by now I really thought I'd be married with a kid or two. And maybe that's still in the cards, since Lord knows I'd like having a son or daughter to raise and nurture. I admit, though, it seems like if that was going to happen, it should've happened by now. However, I get annoyed when those same contemporaries accuse me of not "growing up" or being an adult." I work a pretty good 9-to-5 job. I can support myself. I am amazingly productive. I pay my bills, and my taxes, and donate to charity, and all that good stuff. I've displayed a long trend of acting pretty responsibly ... so how am I not an "adult?"

And there's also this; if I didn't go out and attend shows and DJ and do all the stuff I love and that makes me happy, would I be the same person? Could I be happy without this component of my life? Or, say I had a kid, would they fill me up so full everything else would pale in comparison?* This is the sort of stuff that comes up during an internal audit, and it's frustrating because it's not the sort of thing you can really answer until you're actually in that situation.

So I'll just continue the audit and mark the above concerns down as moot, for now.

*My gut feeling is that the answer to this is obviously yes.

No comments: