Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Poor Chingy.

This was actually overheard as I was in line at the record store nearby purchasing my Battlestar Galactica 2.5 DVD set and my brand new copy (with bonus tracks!) of hometown hero Lupe Fiasco's Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor¹.

Cashier: (Looking at my purchases.) Lupe, huh?
Me: Yup.
Cashier: (Looking at the guy behind me.) You got Lupe too?
Guy Behind Me: You know it.
Cashier: You got Chingy in there too.
Guy Behind Me: Chingy? No. Shit. He done.
Cashier: Poor Chingy.
Guy Behind Me: Yeah he done!
Cashier: Poor Chingy, I didn't even know he HAD an album coming out today.
Me: Um, yeah. Hey, I don't need a bag for those.

So apparently Chingy is done and Lupe is king. Maybe there's hope for this mainstream hip-hop thing after all!

Also, if you were planning on seeing Lupe perform at Metro tonight, that probably ain't going to happen. He'll be there, but he proabably won't actually hit the stage.

¹For those of you not in the know, this album has been pushed back so many times I'm surprised it actually came out. WHY it got pushed back is a total mystery, because even the most casual listen to the early leaks pointed towards an album destined to be a critical and commercial hit.

No comments: