Monday, December 14, 2009

Year-end listing is hard to do.

Year-end listing is hard to do.

I remember when I was a wee l'il music writer oh so many years ago, year-end lists excited me to no end. I loved making them and i loved reading them even more in hopes they'd uncover music I missed along the way.

Fast-forward 15 or so years and the glee is gone. Partially because so much music flies at me each and every day, I very rarely come across a gem because someone else noticed it and I missed it the first time around. This doesn't mean I'm smarter or more attentive than I was back then, it's just that the volume of music flow has increased so dramatically I feel like I'm gasping for air most of the time.

As for my own lists, there is SO MUCH good music out there it's hard to winnow it down. At the same time there is SO LITTLE truly GREAT music out there either, forcing me to swim through miles and miles of notes in order to find the bands that put them together in a way I find most pleasing.

Any way, it's Monday, it's dreary, and I'm gripe-y. What else is new?

[Old school photo from simpler days via Leafblower]

No comments: