Monday, February 06, 2006

Whiskey Soaked Tankboy.

Hoo boy, so Saturday, huh? The last Rockit Girl show at Double Door. The show was awesome but I was a disaster. Somehow a surplus Maker's Mark snuck into my system and caused me to become so inebriated I actually fell down more than once. Very unattractive. It has been years since I got that drunk. Hell, by the end of the evening Jesse the Soundguy had to come to my aid and count the money and divide it amongst the bands. I must've felt pretty badly about that and dropped my usual take by a pretty large percentage judging by the amount of money in my pocket the next day but by then I reckon all the bands deserved more cash for putting up with me. Oh well, at least I didn't puke in the dressing room like some other folks who shall remain nameless.

I had a great time though, from what I remember. Actually my primary regret is that the last quarter or so of the evening is more a series of impressions rather than any concrete solid memories. I did manage to keep from being rude (to most people) and I think "Jolly Tankboy" was out instead of "Jerky Tankboy" so I, other than the whole paying the bands fiasco, was pretty harmless and probably rather entertaining. I do wish I had been able to exert a little self-control earlier in the evening in order to avoid getting so blasted. Not exactly my proudest moment. And to anyone who witnessed my shirtless torso in the sound-booth when I was changing into my Phil Collins tour T-shirt Betsy had just given me for a gift...well, I hope your sight has returned by now and the mental damage is nothing a few weeks in an asylum won't cure.

I have a huge list of people to thank but in lieu of sounding like an Academy Awards speech running into a bleed-over from the orchestra so I think I'll handle those on a one by one basis. I would like to give props to my Almighty Creator right here though for miraculously sparing me anything even resembling a hangover the next day. What a miracle.

The bottom line? It was stupid of me to get so drunk.

__________

Comfort food in film form.

I revisited two of my favorite movies of all time this weekend. Saturday included a viewing of The Philadelphia Story and Sunday I watched Breakfast At Tiffany’s These are two movies I absolutely (and yes I’m using that word properly here in full knowledge of its “absoluteness”) will never get tired of seeing over and over and over again. I realized yesterday that I have no idea why that’s true though. Why are they my favorite movies? Bladerummer is up there right behind them but its inclusion – based on my background, personality and simple fact that I’m a dude – makes a heckuva lot more sense on that list than a comedy with Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant, doesn’t it?

__________

A contest!

We've decided to change the name of our Tuesday night DJing event since we’ve moved it to Pontiac. So, instead of just coming up with a name ourselves we’ve decided to turn it into a bit of a game and ask other folks to come up with a name. Other folks like you!

So come up with a name and we’ll choose a winner before the end of the week and the prize will be some free drinks, maybe some free music and whatever else we can scrape together that’s sitting around in our prize closet. Send your submissions to me via e-mail and, like I said, we’ll announce the winner by week’s end. Wheee!

No comments: