Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Maybe I should be thanking Betty the Beagle?

Maybe I should be thanking Betty the Beagle?

DeRo savaged last night's Liz Phair show, and his description hits on every single thing I was afraid might happen if I saw her try and re-create Guyville onstage. Then again, Jim can be a bit of a curmudgeon, so I'm going to wait and see what Scott has to say* before officially thanking Betty for keeping me in last night.

Regardless, it's still one of my all-time favorite albums, and no matter what her career has made her into, I still think Phair an incredibly brave artist at the time she made it.

UPDATE:
Hm, after talking to other folks there last night, I think I'm not glad I didn't go. It might have tainted the album for me. I'll stick with the version i hold in my head.

*His opinions tend to hew closer to mine and we can both be a tad more forgiving from time to time. Of course we do disagree on whether the final shot in the Guyville Redux DVD of Phair exposing butt crack whilst hugging Nash is appropriate. I think there'snothing wrong with it and Scott thinks it undercuts her feminist message. But that's just an example of the type of trifling quibble that will arise between us.

No comments: