Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Wallflower.

Wallflower.

I know it's out of character, but this is gonna be a bit of a rant / poor me sort of thing, so feel free to skip it entirely.

I'm getting tired of folks taking me for granted.

Part of this is because most folks know me as a go-gettin' promoter / DJ dude, so when it comes time to invite guest DJs onto bills or into clubs they don't think of me, probably assuming I won't do it or that I'm already busy. This has always sort of bothered me, but recently it's begun to really bug me. One reason is that people are contacting me about playing with my band, and I realized what a good feeling that was. It's nice to know that someone wants to do something with you because they find you entertaining and like what you do. So show offers have shown me what that's like.

I've also grown tired of being the go-to guy when you need someone to provide a crowd. I don't mind doing that, but once your place gets established don't pitch me by the wayside so all your pals can DJ now that you don't need someone that promotes and has a draw. This is one reason I LOVE The Burlington -- aside from its owners being such cool cats -- since they continue to bring me in on a regular basis on weekend nights even though there's now a built in crowd. They're an excellent example of how loyalty works.

And I've grown tired of how guest DJs I've invited to spin with me over the last few years can't seem to return the favor for the most part. Again, maybe they just assume I'm already too busy, but it would be nice if they asked. Plus, I still like doing solo gigs so if you need me to cover I can do it y'know. I don't have to bring along my whole crew to every event.

And who knows? maybe I'm off base? Maybe people don't ask me in because I'm actually a terrible DJ and just don't know it? Maybe some folks just don't like me? Because I DJ with iPods nowadays folks feel like I'm cheating or something?** I smell bad? I guess that's all plausible.* If any of those are the case, then I guess I'm just blind and this griping make me look like a complete idiot and crybaby.

But if all of that is not the case, and I get overlooked simply because of my ubiquity, then remember this ... it's always nice to be asked.

*O.K., the "terrible DJ" thing probably isn't plausible or I wouldn't have been doing it this long. It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.

**This humorous view usually comes from kids DJing off iTunes on their computer. Look, I've DHed with records, CDs, and even done tape manipulation ... whatever mode you use to carry your tunes has nothing to do with your ability to craft a good mixture of song selections. And it's not even like I really play music that requires tons of beat-matching any more.

No comments: