Thursday, June 09, 2005

Summer popcorn.


So last night we saw a preview of the new flick Mr. & Mrs. Smith and I can’t say I walked away disappointed. Which was good since I sat through hellish rush hour traffic in order to make it to the movie on time.

The flick is directed by Doug Liman (Swingers, Go!, those Matt Damon James Bond with amnesia movies) and he does his usually stylish job. As a matter of fact if it weren’t for his pacing and the electricity between Angelina Jolie and Bradd Pitt the film could have just been a formulaic by-the-numbers romantic comedy/thriller. (There’s lots of those out there, right?)


Speaking of Pitt and Joile, who cares what happened with them off-screen? On-screen the fireworks are palpable and a joy to watch. I can’t imagine Nicole Kidman (who originally had the Mrs. Smith role) matching the sultry violence that emanates from Jolie in the movie.

Also, after seeing Brad Pitt in action yet again, a note to self: Maybe it’s time to start going to the gym twice a day.

Chicago’s own and Holiday Club regular Vince Vaughn also pops up in a few scenes and walks off with said scenes as an assassin who still lives with his mother. (I did mention that the movie is about assassins didn’t I? But you already knew that. I mean, you don’t live under a rock, do you?)

And also, somehow The O.C.’s Seth Cohen – I have no idea what his real name is and in this movie he’s basically playing…Seth Cohen -- slips into the scenery from time to time. How about that? You go comic-book boy! Unfortunately Death Cab For Cutie seems to have been left on the cutting room floor.

Soooo, on a scale of one to ten, I give Mr. & Mrs. Smith six and a half shots of Maker’s Mark.
____________

Kudos to us.

Time Out Chicago just gave our Sweet Alice Tuesdays at innjoy a very nice write-up that I’ll replicate tomorrow when I remind you that we spinning a special Friday night session June 10…which would be tomorrow. We’ll see you there, yes?
__________

P.S.

Today is also D-Day for Double Door. I will be stuck out working in the 'burbs, but if you can stop by the court hearing today -- at 2pm at the Cook County Courthouse, Room 2601 in Daley Center -- to offer your support I will love you forever.
__________

P.P.S.

Go see The Amazing Killowatts tonight. Here's why.

No comments: