Sunday, June 05, 2005

Why would you say that?

Let’s say you’re at a really great party. You’re surrounded by friends. The music is stuff you’ve mostly picked. You are having a great time. You’re talking to the host’s girlfriend who happens to be really cool and into comic books. And you insult her.

Why would you do that?

Well, apparently I did. I’m still not exactly sure what I said but I’m going to guess it fell into the “I thought I was being witty when in fact I was being an asshole” category. Now I admit that I at times say, um, less than tactful things. I’ve told friends what I really think of their bands – but to be fair, they did ask and I did warn them that I’d be honest – and I’ve gotten into fights based on something I thought was a friendly bit of repartee being interpreted in a way different than I intended. I can admit I’m not always an easy guy to be around. I’m not moody or whiny or anything like that, but I am unpredictable and I do tend to speak my mind before my mind has a chance to say, “WAIT! STOP!”

I guess the thing that bothers me most about insulting this poor girl last night is that I really had no intention of doing so. And I didn’t get a chance to properly apologize. So now it’s going to hang over my head until I get a chance to see her again but I suppose I deserve the discomfort since I’m the one who needs to right the wrong.

No comments: