Friday, May 28, 2004

What to do with myself?

Well, a holiday weekend is upon us – the first really proper holiday since January 1 – and I’ve got fuck-all planned. Maybe some softball on Monday and a BBQ with Photogal’s family but aside from those two options I don’t really have anything planned.

So that means it’s time for folks I know to get on the horn and start arranging some drunken tomfoolery damnit! For once most everyone I know is gainfully employed so this weekend IS actually a break from the norm for once. In the past these working holidays never really meant much besides the fact that it would be harder to get a drink at a bar on a Sunday because every yahoo from the ‘burbs would come into the city to “party when used as a verb.” The upswing? Lotsa girls. The downswing? Longer lead-time inserted causing us to wait longer in-between drinks. This usually led to more shots as a precautionary measure against sobriety somehow encroaching and the end results were never pretty.

Well, now I have a job AND a live-in girlfriend so it’s time for me to start appropriating some of those dumb-ass moves practiced by the yuppies all around me. I’m entitled, right? I put in my time working with them and commuting with them and, ultimately, providing entertainment for them so I should reap some sort of satisfactory reward, right? Don’t I deserve a free pass – and my friends as well – to act like a drunken lout with no thought about the consequences?

Unfortunately the answer is no. I mean, we know better and we can’t help it. Once you’ve seen the light you can’t really go back so I guess me and my pals will do the same thing we do every year around this time and go to a bar that will probably have less of an ass-hole factor and just enjoy each other’s company. The only real difference is that each of us will really enjoy staying out on a Sunday night since it means that for just one Monday we don’t have to rejoin the workforce.

Sweet relief.


So how was Bob Edwards, last night?

Great, thanks for asking. What was the best line of the evening? Oh, glad you asked. During the question and answer session with Bob some guy from Evanston asked, “Can you describe your usual routine you would follow while preparing for Morning Edition when you were the host?”

Bob’s answer was awesome. “Well, I would get up at one in the morning and be on the road by two. But not before pouring a steaming hot cup of coffee directly into my eyes.”

Awesome. Bob rocks.

No comments: