Friday, July 01, 2005

Why my friends rule.

My birthday rocked. My brother, his wife and my nephew joined my mom and other l’il bro for dinner. Then I went to The Pontiac where Travis and James kicked the evening off with an awesome acoustic set. DJ tankPOD was in rare form and pulled Walt Mink out of its butt. Rachael shocked and surprised me by showing up. (I don’t shock and surprise easily so I’m sure the look on my face when she popped up out of nowhere was a real treat.) The Gina’s gave me so many shout-outs I’m surprised they didn’t lose their voices. Rudy was nervous for the first time in his life but totally killed (especially when he pulled that cover of “Sister Christian” out of his butt!) And Skid…Skid shocked and surprised everyone by playing with a cellist and still managing to totally rock the house and get people dancing.

Again, my friends are so talented one can’t help but wear a big sloppy grin across one’s puss.

The Pontiac was packed and at one point Photogal was all like, “So, how many people do you know in this room?” and my honest answer was, “Aside from those three girls over there…everyone.” It was awesome. After Pontiac closed we went to the Evil E but I must confess that the evening became fuzzy from that point on. I know Josh and I agreed to take Michele to see super-hero movies when her boyfriend wouldn’t. I know that I was in such a good mood that I didn’t insult anyone. I know I drank a lot of Maker’s Mark. I know I learned that Debbie and Andy were starting an Irish band and I made the international sign of the leprechaun dance whilst implying Debbie was short. (Then she pinched my belly, and I pinched hers, and I known I fought the urge to pinch Andy even though that guy has about –4% body fat.) And I know I shared a cab home with a lovely married lady. And I woke up this morning on the couch, wearing tankPOD, with Bowie’s “Sound And Vision blasting into my ear canals.

What an awesome way to start off my thirty-third year.

No comments: