Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jesus Harvey, give it some time to grow!

Jesus Harvey, give it some time to grow!

From Page Six:
Harvey Weinstein is so disappointed in the $11.6 million opening weekend gross for "Grindhouse" ... he's considering re-releasing each film ... separately in longer versions, the way they'll play in foreign markets and on DVD. "I don't think people understood what we were doing," Weinstein told Page Six. "The audience didn't get the idea that it is two movies for the price of one. I don't understand the math, but I want to accommodate the audience." He said the main deterrent to ticket buyers is the length, which "becomes a time commitment."

Um, it's only opening weekend, but this displays one of the main fucking problems with the studios today, since they seem to think a movie's entire fate depends on the opening weekend's gross. Sure, I can see how that number is all important for shitty blockbusters that really NEED to make a shit-load of dough right away before word gets out that the flick stinks, but I really don't think it's fair to apply this viewpoint across the board. Plus, Harvey, just because you overspent on promotion does not mean this particular flick was ever going to attract a totally mainstream audience, so get that thought out of your head right now.

I haven't seen Grindhouse yet, and believe me I'm chomping at the bit to do so, because I just didn't have time last weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it later this week or next weekend, but I really DO want to see it all in one piece ... so hold off chopping it in half and redistributing it for at least another week or two, okay Harv?

No comments: